Our client is a fully integrated business with regional manufacturing units, 2 distribution centres and their own fleet of 375 delivery vehicles. It employs nearly 20,000 people. The business is a highly ambitious PLC with an exciting vision centred upon delivering a step change in its consumer proposition, along with a transformational efficiency program. It trades from nearly 1700 shops, serves all areas of the UK and is targeting a store estate of more than 2000 units.
- Location: North
- Salary: £excellent base, including an outstanding broader package.
Key responsibilities include:
- Driving achievement of Corporate Sales budgets.
- Total responsibility for the delivery of gross trading margin as agreed in the annual business plan.
- Full management and co-ordination of all commercial activities within the trading function. This encompasses the development and implementation of category strategy; incorporating buying, supply chain, associated marketing and product development activities.
- Management and development of third party supplier strategy.
- Full ownership for the promotional planning process including the liaison with own-supply partners and third party suppliers.
- Ensuring the effective communication of trading strategy to, and ‘buy-in’ of, store teams.
- The delivery of annual ‘better buying’ practices to deliver cost benefit through strategic changes to supply base, raw material procurement and continuous improvement processes.
- Leadership of the internal supply relationship with their own manufacturing operations. Agreement on cost transfer policy and future strategy.
- The guardian of the brand, with responsibility through the marketing team for the implementation of current and future brand strategy.
- Responsibility, through the marketing team, for the management of all agency suppliers and all associated costs.
- Leadership for the people sat within the Trading and Marketing teams.
- The development of a Coaching culture that delivers personal development for all people within the Trading and Marketing teams.
- Contributing to wider strategy development as a key Operating Board member.
- Responsible through the Marketing and Customer Care teams to provide excellent quality and relevant customer insight.
- Develop and maintain a strong relationship with the Main Board, playing a key part in shaping future decisions.
The individual - ideal candidate
This is a key appointment and the individual will need to demonstrate the capability and ambition to be a potential longer term successor to the CEO.
- A natural figurehead who is respected for their Trading competence and who can engage with a large number of people, converting the complex business strategy in to tangible targets and measures.
- A background in leading a complex Trading function within a fast moving, food retailer.
- A strong background in food retailing, minimum 10 years. It is highly desirable that the individual has experience in the Food-to-Go category.
- The ability to develop highly effective cross-functional relationships. It is essential that they demonstrate that they have successfully challenged existing operating models, with the objective of improving customer experience or the cost model.
- The ability to grow with the business and take-on additional responsibility and projects.
- Excellent leadership, people management, influencing and communication skills.
- Closely aligned to, and great culture fit with, the company values.
If you have the skills and experience and are looking for a new challenge, we would be delighted to discuss this opportunity further.