This role is one of the most senior and visible finance leaders in the company, part of Executive Leadership team, and reporting directly to the main board Finance Director. It is responsible for leading the finance function of the business unit, worth over £1.5bn, operating as the ‘right hand’ of the Managing Director. This business unit sits at the heart of the growth plans over the next 5 years and the role is expected to be critical in terms of delivering the strategy.
- Location: East Midlands
- Salary: Excellent
The role - key purpose
Work closely with leadership team to set the strategic direction for the business unit
- Refine and maximise the strategic opportunity. Be a critical part of championing the strategic direction across the whole business
- Maximise the value from our supplier base through creating new partnerships and ways of working.
- Be a champion of working capital improvement across the business.
- Reviewing and restructuring the retailer's commercial relationships with its supplier base in order to deliver a greater degree of value from their scale and buying power.
- Improve the level of commercial support to the business. Be a key member of the Group finance leadership to further develop and upgrade the commercial finance function, developing higher levels of financial insight and upgrading budgeting and forecasting.
- Work cross-functionally with colleagues across finance and the broader business including commercial directors and the executive team.
- Challenge and support the business. Consistently contribute above and beyond the finance agenda and play a commercial role as a key part of the UK team.
- Represent the business externally with suppliers, trade bodies, local government etc. to create opportunities for the business to influence in line with its scope and scale.
- Coach and partner the business teams, giving them a greater degree of financial support, improved analysis, insight and challenge in order to drive value from supplier relationships.
The individual - ideal candidate
High quality finance leader with demonstrable experience of adding commercial value ideally within retail or consumer goods.
- Exposure to trading (either as customer or supplier) highly advantageous.
- Broad finance executive with a track record in international, dynamic and well managed companies renowned for operational and financial excellence.
- A track record of using superior financial understanding and analysis to reduce costs and drive the bottom line.
- Strategic and conceptual thinker with the ability to be hands on and detail orientated when required.
- Experience of driving systems improvements to deliver greater control, clarity around management information, insight and commercial value.
- Evidence of strong career progression in a tightly controlled, fast moving, customer focused environment.
- Graduate calibre and qualified accountant with exposure to multiple business models.
- Relevant university degree as a minimum.
- Chartered accountant qualifications.
- Excellent IT and spreadsheet skills.
If you have the skills and experience and are looking for a new challenge, we would be delighted to discuss this opportunity further.